top of page
  • Writer's pictureGotta Go Orlando

NOAA predicts an "Above-Normal 2024 Atlantic Hurricane Season with Florida facing an “Extraordinary Season"

NOAA has released its 2024 Atlantic Hurricane Season Outlook, predicting an above-normal season with near-record warm ocean temperatures in the Atlantic bringing forecasts of an extreme hurricane season to Florida.

NOAA predicts an "Above-Normal 2024 Atlantic Hurricane Season with Florida facing an “Extraordinary Season"

The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) has released its 2024 forecast for the Atlantic hurricane season, which officially starts on June 1, with NOAA prediciting an "above average" hurricane season with 17 to 25 named storms, 8 to 13 hurricanes, and 4 to 7 major hurricanes of category 3 or higher.


 NOAA Administrator Dr. Rick Spinrad issued a stark warning that the forecast for named storms, hurricanes and major hurricanes is the highest that NOAA has ever issued for the May outlook.


NOAA predicts an "Above-Normal 2024 Atlantic Hurricane Season with Florida facing an “Extraordinary Season"

As of right now, there is an 85% chance of an above-normal season, 10% chance of a near-normal season and a 5% chance of a below-normal season, with NOAA 70% confident in these ranges.


Spinrad commented that the stage is set for an “extraordinary” season ahead.


The above average forcast has been issued amid near-record highs in ocean temperatures, together with the development of La Niña conditions in the Pacific, together with reduced Atlantic trade winds and less wind shear, all of which are favoring tropical storm formation, leading to the 85% chance of an above-normal season.



Storm Names For The 2024 Atlantic Hurricane Season 

  • Alberto 

  • Beryl

  • Chris

  • Debby

  • Ernesto

  • Francine

  • Gordon

  • Helene

  • Isaac

  • Joyce

  • Kirk

  • Leslie

  • Milton

  • Nadine

  • Oscar

  • Patty

  • Rafael

  • Sara

  • Tara

  • Valerie

  • William


A supplemental list of storm names will be used if alphabetic names run out. That has only happened twice in the past 15 years.


NOAA predicts an "Above-Normal 2024 Atlantic Hurricane Season with Florida facing an “Extraordinary Season"

Gotta Go Orlando is committed to offering locals and visitors the best coverage of things to do in Orlando, and Central Florida, including the latest entertainment news, live music, theater, nightlife, food & drink. theme parks, attractions, events, culture, and more.


For the latest entertainment news and things to do in Orlando, and throughout Central Florida, join us on X, Facebook, Instagram, and YouTube.


Never miss any Orlando news! Sign up to the Gotta Go Orlando Newsletter.


Got a story to tell? Contact us here. To advertise with us, click here, and to list your upcoming event with us, submit it here.




Comments

Couldn’t Load Comments
It looks like there was a technical problem. Try reconnecting or refreshing the page.
Emma Walton News Producer

Emma Walton

  • Instagram

News Producer

Shane Walton News Producer

Shane Walton

  • Instagram

News Producer

Aly Mac News Editor

Alastair Mac

  • Instagram

News Editor

bottom of page